My Cameras - Always Ready

My first digital camera was an Olympus Camedia D-200L. It was a VGA (480x640, 0.35 MP) camera that could only store 20 pictures on internal memory. So I spent a lot of time connecting to the computer to clear out the memory. My next camera was a Sony Cybershot DSC-T1. I liked the ultra small form factor and the fact that the lens had no external moving parts to break. I kept this camera with me at all times in my pocket for about 3 years. I eventually got the USB adapter to eliminate the need to carry the dock around when I needed to offload pictures at work or on the road. I also got the continuous AC power supply and used the power inverter in my car to record trips from the windshield which I would compress for some high-speed roading videos. I hanged the camera from the rear-view using hook and loop straps because the camera didn’t have a tripod mount (something they added in future models). That camera served me well for several years and even survived a drop in the kiddie pool in the back yard. When that was due for a replacement I went with another Sony Cybershot, a DSC T-77. Again, I went for the continuous power supply, which required an adapter cord, but found that the camera’s firmware only allows for 10 minutes of continuous video. Luckily the power supply also worked on my wife’s Sony Cybershot H-7 which can take as much video as can fit on the memory card. For long duration videos, like time lapse, I use the lowest resolution setting which gives about 24 hrs on an 8GB memory stick. For windshield mounts I am looking at this Panavise 809 Camera Window Suction-Cup Mount. Also, the T-77 will only charge the battery via the external charger, it will not charge via USB, or even the AC adapter. The latest comparable offering from is the Sony Cybershot DSC T-90.

Again, make sure you have something on your camera to enable someone to return it directly to you if lost. Keep in mind that you will probably use the camera overseas at some point too, so include your email address as well, and keep it current.

No comments: