USB Thumb Drives and New Thumbnail Drives

Several years ago I was visiting my grandfather who was using floppy disks at 1.44 MB each. I informed him that a single 256 MB USB drive could take the place of all of his floppy disks, and then some. He was an instant convert, now he has a pile of thumb drives instead of floppy disks, but he still seems to know what is on each one of them. I currently carry a 4GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer which I have had for years. I had a 2GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer before that, which I now use for storing music for my car and have found the Sandisk Micro Cruzers to be extremely reliable. They now offer a 16GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer which is reasonably priced, and a 32GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer if you need the space. Watch out for price inversion on these. That is when the larger capacity drive actually becomes cheaper as the smaller drive price goes up due to scarcity. I have also been looking at the eLago Nano Micro SD Card Reader which can be bundled with a Sandisk 16GB MicroSD Card or a Sandisk 32GB MicroSD Card to reduce the risk of knocking out the USB drives as I wield my laptop around the house or through the hallways at work. These tiny drives are so small, they barely stick out the side of the USB port, although I suspect that these are easier to loose in your pocket and everywhere else, for that matter. Since these drives can be lost easily, look for my earlier post regarding password protecting files, data encryption, and posting your information to contact you if found

UPDATE:
4GB Sandisk Micro Cruzer survives laundry washer and dryer, and data is still intact!

No comments: